Spring safety for your pets

Spring safety for your pets

Thursday, 19 March 2020 09:13

 Goodbye winter, hello spring! The days are getting longer and flowers are starting to bloom. As pretty as these flowers are, they could spell danger for our pets.

Below is a list of some common spring plant toxicities but to view a full list, please click here.

Crocuses 

There are two types of Crocus plants: one that blooms in the spring and the other that blooms in the fall. The spring plants are more common and when ingested can cause gastrointestinal upset including vomiting and diarrhea. The autumn crocus is highly toxic and can cause severe vomiting, gastrointestinal bleeding and liver and kidney damage.

Lillies 

Some lilies are relatively benign, where others are highly toxic. Peace, Peruvian and Calla lilies are relatively benign, causing minor symptoms such as tissue irritation to the mouth resulting in minor drooling. Tiger, Day, Asiatic, Easter and Japanese Show lilies are highly toxic to cats and can cause severe kidney failure. If your cat ingests even a minor amount of any of the highly toxic lilies, make sure to bring them to our vet ASAP.

Daffodils 

Daffodils contain lycorine, an alkaloid with strong emetic properties which triggers vomiting. Ingestion of the bulb, plant or flower can cause severe vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain and possible cardiac arrhythmia. 
 

Tulips and Hyacinths 

Tulips contain allergenic lactones while hyacinths contain similar alkaloids. These toxins are concentrated in the bulbs of the plant, so make sure your dog isn't digging up the bulbs. When the plant parts or bulbs are ingested, it can result in tissue irritation. Typical signs include profuse drooling, vomiting and diarrhea.

If you know that your pet has ingested a poisonous substance, please contact the Pet Poison Helpline and then call your vet immediately.

Image 3 19 20 at 9.39 AM